Jisc Open Monographs Metrics Experiment
14th October 2019.
Professor Martin Paul Eve, Birkbeck, University of London
What's the Research Problem?
- How can we quickly find works that are central to a particular field?
- Citation intersections
For Whom is this a Problem?
- Those with disabilities
- Those without library access
- Those without sufficient time
What we Made
- A literature review of existing material on bibliometrics for open-access monographs
- A tool that will allow people to download a corpus from the DOAB
- A tool that will parse references from open-access monographs and tell the user which items are cited in common among the selected titles
What we Learned (The Bad Bits)
- Challenge: technical matching
- Challenge: bad metadata
- Challenge: format diversity
- Challenge: multi-lingualism
What we Learned (The Good Bits)
- There are ways of using the citation graph for research benefit, not just evaluation
- Many of these problems are fixable
- In a short space of time we built a working prototype